It too is my impression that some children with 'bronchiolitis' respond to albuterol, those
children are also usually excluded from in-hospital trials of albuterol vs vaponehprine/etc b/c
they get sent home!  IT is so simple to try - giving some albuterol treatments, and if the
children respond then home they go with an albuterol MDI, mask spacer, and teaching by RT.
Usually if they respond to albuterol and if there's any family history of RAD/asthma then I give
them steroids as well.  I think the real point is that even with RSV infection its impossible to
sort out those kids with underlying RAD component from those children with purely epithelial
damage and clogging of the bronchioles from RSV.  Seeing if they respond to albuterol is fast,
easy, and allows dishcarge of responders.

Virgil Davis