I have to admit that the emesis associated with ketamine is definitively one of its down-sides. 7%
is acutally quite a bit.   The one thing I have found is that warning the parents up front, and I
usually say that their child will quite likely vomit, helps.  I had only one case that was
persistant, after a bit of an overdosage (8mg/kg IM), that resolved with tigan.

The big problem I see with pre-medicating for ketamine is the issue of administration.  The huge
selling feature of ketamine to my mind is its consitant efficacy when given IM.  If one truly
wants to pre-med with an anti-emetic than it needs to be given some time before the ketamine -
thus either an additional injection or an IV - both of which are somewhat unattractive
alternatives.

I do routinely pre-medicate patients that I use etomidate for b/c the rather high incidence of
emesis.  (0.1mg/kg reglan) with good results.  Propofol is quite nice in this regard b/c of its
anti-emetic properties.

Virgil Davis, MD

Univ of Arizona.