Jan asks about what makes a good/better/best wall, referencing:
> Bjorn wrote: [....]
> Bob replied:
> > The BEST walls start SHALLOW (or at 0 fsw <G>) and plunge
> > vertically down to the abyss, with undercuts thrown in for
> > excursion on the way down.

It looks like Bob likes the big, sheer vertical plungers...

Bob responded with:

> There isn't any. [definition of "best wall"]

Yup.  Its definitely a case of personal preferences.

Kuty's take on the subject:

>The closer to vertical position, the better.

Hmmm...another plunger fan :-)

Kuty, continuing:
> Imagine diving along a rocky wall, covered with beautiful coral heads
> and anemones, and thousands of colorful fish around them.  Imagine
> looking down and seeing the rocky wall disappearing in the deep blue
abyss.
> Imagine looking up and seeing the wall going up as far as you can see.
> Imagine looking straight into the blue (opposite to the wall) and seeing
> the big animals (sharks, mantas, dolphins) swimming in the open
> blue water, getting close to the wall to get food (especially in strong
currents).

Quite poetic; don't sell yourself short.

There are some things for which the topology of the bottom (wall) is
important, such as verticality to give you a strong "flying" sensation, but
what makes a 'great' wall at least for me is the "STUFF" that will be
associated with the site.  For example, deep drop-offs tend to be a better
place to see pelagics, which makes them a plus.  But at the same time,
dramatic, sheer verticals might _lack_ as much surface area as a less
sheer/flat/vertical wall to afford lots of nooks, crannies, shelves,
potholes & caves for critters and sea life to take hold on and proliferate
for the enjoyment of the diver.  The orientation of the wall can also be
important in this regards:  a north facing wall doesn't get as much sunlight
as others.

Since I dive with a camera, my preference for a wall is that its going to
have opportunities of that which I'm set up to photograph...which can change
from dive to dive :-).  In general terms though, this means that a rough
wall with outcroppings, nooks, etc, is favored, as this tends to increase
its potential for subjects.   I also enjoy canyons, chutes and other types
of swim-throughs, which again means a more "broken up" or eroded type of
wall formation.  These aren't as dramatic as the first time that we fly off
the top of a big flat sheer "skyscraper" type of wall, but for me, its the
type of dive that I can do again and again and enjoy it each time.
Typically, I find that its the unusual coral or rock formation that provides
some relief in the form of a promontory, pocket, overhang, column, etc, that
is the feature that provides the 'hang out'.  On some big flat walls, these
are lacking, so encounters here tend to be more transient.  YMMV.

-hh