Sally Caves <[log in to unmask]> comunu:

> How do you "register" your electronic journal?  In other words, it's all
> very well to mount a series of webpages, but how do you let readers know
> it's there?  Print journals get listed in books of registration, are put
> in bibliographies like the MLA bibliography, and so forth.  Have you
> done
> anything similar to LangMaker on the internet?

At one point I applied for an ISBN-counterpart number for subscriptions
(ISSN?) but I never followed through with it.  I did get a listing in one of
the first yellow pages for the Internet, back in 1995 or so when the
Internet was small enough to do that.  I announced it on the CONLANG list.
But its not like I ever had money to spend marketing it.  If someone gave me
a budget and said "hey, make this profitable", I'd laugh but take there
money and buy some ads in some RPG zines and writing zines.  Can't think of
how to spend a marketing budget very effectively though -- its not like you
can rent a mailing list of conlangers though.  I did once consider a
classified in F&SF -- it was pretty cheap, but again, my wife is grumpy
enough I spend $25/month on the site and $35/year on the domain name, so...

When the newsletter started, I announced it here and in a couple Compuserve
fora.

> Or is there anything
> beyond Lycos or Excite to "find" electronic journals for the random
> reader?

Nowadays people just look for web pages.  Unfortunately I don't use conlang
or constructed language a lot in the text, so that probably hurts my chances
of being found.

Best regards,

Jeffrey Henning
http://www.LangMaker.com/ - Invent Your Own Language
http://www.Jeffrey.Henning.com/
"If Bill Gates had a nickel for every time Windows crashed....  Oh, wait, he
does!"