Barry Garcia <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>>For women, we have 'brava':)
>>
>>Luca Mangiat

>Well as has been said before, English has no gender so it would be
>meaningless to try and make it manditory you use bravo for men, and brava
>for women. Also bravo is an interjection like "congrats!".

FWIW in Spanish we say 'bravo' too only as an interjection.
It really is an adjective, but almost no-one uses it (in
my dialect); it means more 'strong, difficult to bring down
to submission' (esp. of an animal!) than 'brave'.

>A really funny example of this borrowing without realizing the meaning
>(and disregarding gender) is in Tagalog, "puta" means whore, yet, puto is
>a type of sweet steamed cake. I often get giggles from Spanish speakers
>when i tell them i'm eating puto.

he he he he :)

--Pablo Flores
  http://www.geocities.com/pablo-david/index.html
  ... I cannot combine any characters that the divine Library
  has not foreseen, which in some of its secret tongues do not
  bear some terrible meaning. No-one can articulate a syllable
  not filled of caresses and fears; which is not, in some one
  of those languages, the powerful name of a god...
                   Jorge Luis Borges, _The Library of Babel_