Mangiat wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I've had some problems with my new conlang, Vaiysi, and I'm asking for help:
>
> In a language where adjectives are conjugated (as in Japanese or in Flores'
> Draseléq), how can I translate a copula for the nouns? Should I have to
> conjugate also the nouns as the adjectives?
>
> ex.: sal = little
>       talo = house
>       salyea talo = the house is little

i.e., "the house littles."  I love these constructions.  There are a
whole
set of Teonaht -ndi verbs that do something like this.  Adjectives,
actually,
are made from these stative verbs, rather than the other way around.
http://www.frontiernet.net/~scaves/verbs.html#ndi

        It just occurred to me that we have a bunch of these in
        modern English slang:

                something (usually bad) "sucks" or "bites."
                        (something *is terrible*)
                You don't normally say "it is sucking."

                something (usually cool) "rocks."
                        (something *is terrific*)

>       samo = man
>       liryano = singer
>       how should I translate 'the man is a singer'?
>       'liranyea samo' as if liryano is an adjective, or should I use a
> copula?

I think it would be wonderfully unconventional, Luca, to conjugate
your nouns as though they were stative verbs.  Then, you would have the
deliciously confusing task of differentiating

                The man sings

from

                The man singers.

What fun!!  For of course "the man is a singer" SEEMS substantially
different
from "the man sings."  The latter can describe an activity that any man
can
engage in without being a bonafide singer.  The former seems required to
describe an activity we expect that man to engage in all the time, as a
profession or hobby.  But what if you were to dissolve that difference
in
your language?

This is doubly complicated because the noun "singer" is already based on
a verb.  Let's see what happens when you say "The man is a rat."

                The man rats?

Hmm.  Intriguing decision.  I can see your desire to use a copula, but
to keep the language interesting you might want to make all predicate
complements capable of being turned into conjugating verbs.  And then
deal with what that implies.

> The youngest (?) conlanger on this list,

Younger than fourteen? ;-)  Or is that the youngest?

Sally
SALLY CAVES
http://www.frontiernet.net/~scaves (bragpage)
http://www.frontiernet.net/~scaves/teonaht.html (T. homepage)