Cosma:

Yes, if you want to dive in the San Francisco area you need to drive down to
Monterey Bay which is a 1-2 hour drive depending on traffic.

There are several charter boats operating in Monterey Bay and a lot of dive
shops so renting gear will not be a problem.

See  http://www.californiadiveboats.com/

for a list of dive boats.  The Cypress Sea has a good reputation but I'm
pretty far removed from the scene to recommend any specific boats.

Regards,

Kent Lind
Juneau, Alaska