We've used Author/Editor, WordPerfect SGML, XMetaL, and a few freebies.
Now it's time to try the monster, FrameMaker+SGML. The first pass was
not propitious. After installing I went looking for where to place the
DTD or to compile a proprietary rules file (called an "application" by
FrameMaker) and found the ominous instructions: "a developer typically
sets up this application for you" but no instructions on how the
developer (that would be me!) does that. According to the manual, that
information is in the "Developer's Guide" online at the Adobe site. 45
minutes, multiple searches and three phone calls later, the Adobe tech
support guy is going to TRY to find the URL and e-mail it to me. But all
that aside, does anyone have any advice on using FrameMaker+SGML (other
than "run away!!")?

- Hope

[log in to unmask], U of Vermont, http://etext.uvm.edu