Matt Pearson wrote:

> I've never thought about what to do with animals.  I think what I'll
> do is adapt the words for human limbs to four-legged animals:  So
> "nalhie" means "pair of arms" when used of a person, and "pair
> of forelegs" when used of an animal, while "kalie" means "pair of
> legs" when used of a person, and "pair of hind legs" when used of
> an animal.
>
> The proverb "Eyes for the owl, legs for the rabbit" uses the
> word "kalie" for "legs".  I suppose this is reasonable, since
> it's a rabbit's hind legs which make the difference.
>
> Matt.

In Teonaht, so I've decided, all mammals have arms and legs
(except bats, who have hands and wings).  Centipedes, however,
have mimllarod, "many legs," mim- meaning either "some" or "many,"
depending on context.  Spiders, I suppose, and ants, and silver
fish, have mimllarod as well.  And mimmepan.  More than two eyes.
:-)
Sal
SALLY CAVES
http://www.frontiernet.net/~scaves (bragpage)