Matt Pearson wrote:

> OK, I'll come clean.  I had an ulterior motive for asking you guys
> to guess what it means, which is that I'm having a hard time
> articulating the meaning concisely.  The basic idea is "Everyone
> has their own unique talent", but there are overtones of "Different
> strokes for different folks", as well as "Make the best of what you
> have", and a dash of "The fox knows many things...".  Does anybody
> have any idea what I'm trying to get at?  Is there any English
> equivalent which would nicely sum up the Tokana proverb?
>
> Matt.

"One man's meat is another man's poison"?

Oh shoot.  You gave it away.  I was going to "guess" that it meant
"different strokes for different folks," but now who will believe
me? <G>  I was also wondering, though, if the proverb went a little
deeper than that... I mean, after all, you have a potential drama
here:  the owl sees, the rabbit runs.  I also thought it referred
to the inescapable laws of brutal nature and the predator/prey
relationship.  I love it!  Can I borrow it for Teonaht? pretty please?

To orto epan, to harod nillarod.    It even rhymes!
For owl eyes, for rabbit legs

meaning: if one chases, the other runs.

Sally
SALLY CAVES