Michael Doelle wrote:
>The names of the hostages can now be found on the Straits Times (SG)
>web page.  I did not spot a familiar name there. Looks like they got
>some of the names wrong, though.
>
>Viv: when you were there, the police did not come to look for dynamite
>fishers on Sipadan, as it is well known where the fishermen live. But
>when the 80 pax limit started to be enforced, the authorities started
>to come in from Semporna to count heads. While the limit on pax is now
>generally being observed by the resorts (to a certain degree), the
>limit on staff was so rediculously low, that none of the resorts would
>have been able to function. So everybody violated that count. What
>usually happened was that somebody in Semporna would get on the phone
>once the police boat left Semporna. The staff would then scramble into
>the boats and head for Mabul until the air was clear again.

Thanks for correcting my second guess Michael. The day before the hostage
drama I was out diving with a crowd I only knew vaguely. As soon as they
heard I had dived in that region they asked me where I would go as a dive
group to see just about everything without too much hassle. I automatically
replied "Sipadan" .. but told them to tag on a trip to Mabul also for
variety as I knew none of the guys were in to wrecks so I not worth
mentioning Labuan. Unfortunately I think Sipadan would have dropped down to
the bottom of their list of *must see* dive spots now :-(

I was there in 1995 & stayed with the Sipadan Resort folks. Sad to say the
talks with the hostage takers dont appear to be going anywhere fast for the
foreign nationals :-(

    Viv &     Only when the last tree has died     o  ___
    Fluffy    and the last river been poisoned     o /@  \/
   (=*_*=)     and the last fish been caught        >  )::
             will we realise we cannot eat money.    \___/\
Chief Seattle, Chief of the Swamish Native Americans