At 4:01 pm -0700 30/4/00, [log in to unmask] wrote:
>>Are we talking about the Patagonia in South America?
>
>Yes--there was, IIRC, a Welsh colony there.

There most certainly was.  It was originally (semi-)independent; but later
became part of hispanophone Argentina.

>It is, I think, the strongest concentration of Welsh speakers outside of
>Wales.

It was at one time but I hear that the language now barely survives there.
Like the Welsh valleys in the anglicized south east of Wales, the language
clung on longest in the chapels, but I understand that even there Spanish
is now the norm.

Someone did say there was some sort of Welsh revival now starting there.
I'd like to hope so.

Ray.

A mind which thinks at its own expense
will always interfere with language.