>Matt Pearson wrote:
>> Are you looking for conditioned or unconditioned changes from /s/
>> to /ts/?  If unconditioned:  I believe there are some South American
>> languages in which fricatives underwent across-the-board fortition
>> to become affricates.
>
>Were those influenced by languages with affricates but not fricatives?

I don't know.  All I remember is that there are certain Amazonian
languages which have /ts/ but not /s/, and others where /s/ and
/ts/ are in free variation.  The language whose grammar sketch
contained this fact was of the latter kind (I no longer remember the
name of the language).

Not very helpful, I know...

Matt.