> Date:         Thu, 4 May 2000 12:26:47 -0400
> From: Steg Belsky <[log in to unmask]>

> On Thu, 4 May 2000 17:02:10 +0200 Lars Henrik Mathiesen <[log in to unmask]>
> writes:
> > Anyway, how much territory does a gatherer need to support a family?
>
> Depends on the environment - in a 'richer' environment, less territory is
> needed.  In a poorer one, more is.  Not all hunter-gatherers in human
> history have been nomads - peoples like the Tlingit of NW North America
> have existed very well, with large populations and all the "complexity"
> of agricultural life without the domesticated crops.

My impression was actually that nomadism came in with herding, and
that each hunter/gatherer group tended to have a few permanent camps
or even a village and a camp that they moved between according to the
seasons. The Inuit in Greenland did it that way, I know.

Do you have any numbers for the population densities of either the
Tlingit or the !Kung San?

Lars Mathiesen (U of Copenhagen CS Dep) <[log in to unmask]> (Humour NOT marked)