And Rosta wrote:

> I'm without access to my reference books else I would check this rather
> than ask, but is Hamito-Semitic anything but a synonym for Afroasiatic,

It is a synonym.

> and
> is it not the case that Berber belongs to the Semitic branch of Afroasiatic?

Berber is not Semitic, but is one of the non-Semitic (aka "Hamitic", though
Hamitic is not a legitimate node in the classification) branches.
The others are Chadic, Cushitic, Egyptian/Coptic, and Omotic.
See http://www.sil.org/Ethnologue/families/Afro-Asiatic.html .
The parent page, http://www.sil.org/Ethnologue/families, is a handy
if not entirely uncontroversial resource for language family trees.

--

Schlingt dreifach einen Kreis um dies! || John Cowan <[log in to unmask]>