Marcus Smith <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>> The apostrophe marks glottalisation, as in Quecha. lh represents the lateral
>> fricative, as found in Nahuatl.

Nahuatl has a fricative and an affricate of that kind, am I right?

>I've heard it said that Japanese is developing distinct voiceless vowels, but
>I've never seen the evidence for this.  They are clearly there when you hear a
>native speaker talk, but they seem to be predictable.

All native and non-native speakers I've had contact with
agree that they seem to appear predictably between unvoiced
consonants, or in final position after an unvoiced consonant.

--Pablo Flores
  http://www.geocities.com/pablo-david/index.html
  "... When all men on earth think, day and night, about the
   Zahir, which one will be a dream and which one a reality?"
                              Jorge Luis Borges, _The Zahir_