Daniel A. Wier wrote:

> >From: Nik Taylor <[log in to unmask]>
>
> >dirk elzinga wrote:
> > > Here's a partial Uto-Aztecan cognate set for *tama 'tooth':
> > > Nahuatl      tlan-
>
> Wait, don't many Mexican placenames end in -tlán?

Different morpheme.  In this case the final -tlan (without the
stress which was always on the penult) is a locative marker variously
translated as 'land of', 'place of', 'place characterized by' and so
on.  I suppose if they had had dentists they might have called their
shops 'tlantlan' :)  (And yes, I know its bad Nahuatl).

--
Brad Coon

Somedays when you wake up, its just not worth chewing through
the leather straps.