Ray:
> At 12:22 pm -0500 25/4/00, Carlos Eugenio Thompson (EDC) wrote:
> >I wrote:
> >> I've tried to figure out a name for conlang/conlanger in Spanish and the
> >> one I'm founding more appealing is _acrolecto_ for conlang and probably
> >> somethig like _acrolectista_ for conlanger.
> >>
> >Oops... I meaned _artilecto_ and _artilectista_
> >> -- Carlos Th
>
> Someone - Was it Caudio? - coined IIRC 'glossopoeta' as the Italian
> for conlanger.  In French that'd be 'glossopočte', or 'glossopoet'
> in English.

The term was independently coined by, in chronological order, Steve
Deyo (former editor of _Glossopoeic Quarterly_ and very occasional
and transitory member of this list), me, and Claudio.

I wonder why we all coined _glossopoeia_, rather than _glottopoeia_.
After all, 'linguistics' is _glottology_ rather than _glossology_.

> Unfortunately, tho the second element only means 'maker', it looks
> too much like 'poet' and the compound suggests 'language poet' as
> much 'language maker'.

Not a problem, in my eyes.

In my poesy I have used _beltistolaly_ for the type of conlang that
Livagian is, but the etymology of that (i.e. the meaning of _beltisto_) escapes
my memory.

> I guess Latin for "conlanger" would've been 'lingifex'

not _linguifex_?

> (gen. linguificis), with a derived noun 'linguificium' conlanging".
> How does 'linguifice' sound as a possible French form?

It sounds fine also as an English word.

--And.