>Óskar,
>
>Welcome to the list!  You asked about IAL phonology, and I'll try and
>give you some examples.  I might get some of the data wrong, but
>anyway...

Thank you Danny for the warm welcome :)

>I think the latest auxlangs are going for a phonology like such (I'll
>arrange these into a chart):
>
>Labials: p b f m
>Dentals: t d s z n
>Palatals: ch j sh
>Velars k g (ng as an allophone)
>Glottals: h
>Others: r l v y
>Vowels: a e i o u
>
>V and w are merged into v (and Arabic- or Chinese-speakers could
>pronounce it w, while Hindi and Urdu would have a sound halfway between
>v and w), and (especially for Asian/Pacific languages) r and l maybe.

Well, as you may already have seen in my posting on IAL phonology, the
system I have in mind is even smaller. I'm especially avert to the glottal h
as a phoneme, s and z as a phonemic pair (it is not so common in natural
languages, usually they're allophones of the same phoneme). I'm also against
r, though it could be okay if it can be pronounced as any rhotic. In the
phonology I presented I went for the minimal vowel system, a-i-u, which I
guess is not too common. I would still prefer that if the lexicon can cope
with it (which I believe it may well do, especially with a good system of
word derivation).

>This phonology I developed for an (currently on hold) IAL project I was
>working on based on the six most spoken languages in the world (Mandarin
>and the other Chinese languages, English, Hindi-Urdu, Spanish, Russian
>and Arabic), following these rules: small phonology to allow for various
>'foreign accents', the word chosen for a certain meaning will be the one
>that occurs in the most languages, or if all six are different, Chinese
>or English will be chosen.  Grammar is to be isolating; no bound
>morphemes, no declension of nouns, no conjugation of verbs.  Word order
>is SVO...

Your approach is the modern, up-to-date one. However, it differs from mine
mostly in the heavy emphasis on the "major languages", where I prefer not to
over-emphasise any specific language. I dream of a language of "universal
minimals" - the basic universal features of human speech expressed in one
single form. Horribly difficult to create, but most goals can be reached in
steps, with enough co-operation and effort (consider the pyramids at Giza).

Anyway, let's keep discussing it, we're just getting started...

P.S. to Danny: are you more into phonetics/phonology or
syntax/morphology/semantics? Or just one specific of those?

Thanks