Óskar,

Welcome to the list!  You asked about IAL phonology, and I'll try and
give you some examples.  I might get some of the data wrong, but
anyway...

Esperanto, the old standard, has this alphabet

a b c c^ d e f g g^ h h^ i j j^ k l m n o p r s s^ t u u_ v z

(x^ = circumflex above letter, x_ = arc below character)

The sound value of the above:

arm be its cheese day met foot go gym house loch meet jump leisure kick
lamb mat no role pill very (tap/trill) so she take rule way very zoo

Most of the other auxlangs, like Ido, Interlingua and Novial are
"revisions" of Esperanto.  I can't recall the phonology of the
granddaddy of them all, Volapük, but I know it involved a similar
phonology to Esp, but with 'umlaut' vowels as in German.

The later conlangs have smaller, more manageable (and more typeable)
phonologies.  Ido, if I recall correctly, uses an alphabet similar to
English (a couple letters omitted here and there), but had more
Latin-like pronunciation rules (I think c could be either 's' or 'ch',
or is it 'ts')?  I got a small Ido dictionary from a member of this
list, but I lost the darn thing...

Lojban, which came from Loglan, uses conventions like c for 'sh'.  And
word roots are always five letters (they're called 'gismu').

I think the latest auxlangs are going for a phonology like such (I'll
arrange these into a chart):

Labials: p b f m
Dentals: t d s z n
Palatals: ch j sh
Velars k g (ng as an allophone)
Glottals: h
Others: r l v y
Vowels: a e i o u

V and w are merged into v (and Arabic- or Chinese-speakers could
pronounce it w, while Hindi and Urdu would have a sound halfway between
v and w), and (especially for Asian/Pacific languages) r and l maybe.  I
doubt the phoneme x (the German 'ch' sound) would be in an ideal
auxlang, except as an allophone or accentual variant of h (since
Spanish- and Russian-speakers have no h).  There might be a schwa as a
sixth vowel, but I doubt it; let it be an allophone of a or e (and
perhaps o).  And let there be ng before velar consonants and nowhere
else.

This phonology I developed for an (currently on hold) IAL project I was
working on based on the six most spoken languages in the world (Mandarin
and the other Chinese languages, English, Hindi-Urdu, Spanish, Russian
and Arabic), following these rules: small phonology to allow for various
'foreign accents', the word chosen for a certain meaning will be the one
that occurs in the most languages, or if all six are different, Chinese
or English will be chosen.  Grammar is to be isolating; no bound
morphemes, no declension of nouns, no conjugation of verbs.  Word order
is SVO, prepositions are used in lieu of noun cases (they can also
appear before or after verbs; I haven't decided yet), adjectives precede
nouns as do numbers and demonstratives, and syntax is pretty much loose,
so one can say (I'm using all English words here), "here dog lies down",
or "dog lies down here", but subject should always precede object since
accusatives are unmarked unless necessary, such in case of "I speak to
you", but I guess "I speak you" could work).

The approach is sort of like a 'global pidgin'.  I've named it variously
Pig, Big Six, Big Pig, Pig Dog, or just simply P.  I'll probably settle
on P (pronounced 'pay' or 'pee'), and the six-language base would
constitute P 1.0.  In the future, additional major languages may be
added to the base.

Anyway, the goal for IAL is simplicity and ease of learning.  Now as for
a conlang (a fictitional language for reasons other than that of IALs),
you can do whatever the heck you want.  I got a language project with
literally hundreds of consonants and vowels, along with languages with
other more manageable phonologies.  (I'm on Auxlang's older sister list,
Conlang as well.  You outta check it out just for grins!)

Well time for din-din, so I'll ramble on some more later...

Daniel A. Wier (call me Danny)
Lufkin, Texas USA
http://communities.msn.com/DaWier
MSN Messenger Service: [log in to unmask]