Poe wrote:

>Did my first night dive for my AOW; cold water, poor torches, at the gravel
>loader close to Bass Point (so compass not working properly due to all that
>metal around). Not a good experience, and had me worried about night
diving.
>Second dive was in warm water, at Tenggol Island, Malaysia. The best torch
>was a UK400 and my UK DL4; the other torches were on dying carbon
batteries.
>At least the water was warm, but not much fun with poor lighting, as you
can
>hardly see anything.
>
>After that, I've done Fish Rock Cave, with good lighting (everyone had
UK400
>from the operator, and Noel had a Ocean Graphics 50W light). Got to see
>things, and after several dives, was much more comfortable. That prompted
me
>to get a better light, which really paid off when night diving at Sipadan.
>After several night dives off the Drop Off, I felt comfortable enough to
>turn off the light, and just float there, watching the torches of other
>divers in the clear water; magic! Have to say I'm now comfortable with
>diving at night, esp with a good light.

Both John Bird (from an earlier post) and Poe Lim as well as myself seem to
have had a less than stellar first experience with night diving. It seems we
all have discovered the awesome beauty in the ocean at night, after we have
become comfortable with all the extra aspects involved with night diving.
this is why I would advise Sherry and her hubby to take the first night dive
with an instructor in the advanced class so that these new experiences do
not come as a surprise. I don't mean to indicate that the group they are
going with wouldn't take them under their wing and provide some guidance,
but this was not stated, and may be an unfair burden to be put on those
divers trying to have a little fun.

Walt