Russ wrote:

>I can't say if it's rare or not.   However, we just had a similar thing
>happen to us during our trip Galapagos in March.  We were out in the
>dive panga to get a closer look at a pod of pseudo-orca when a group of
>dolphins *and* sea lions show up to play in the bow wake.  It was
>amazing...they were less than a couple of meters away.

This is very common. Dolphins seem to be attracted to bow wakes. On one of
our channel crossings we came upon what must have been a pod of a thousand
Pacific Whitesided Dolphins. Before you atart wondering what a pod of
Pacific Whitesided Dolphins were doing in the English Channel this was a
crossing from Santa Cruz Island to Santa Barbara California. We circled
around for about a half an hour until I ran out of tape and we were low on
fuel. It was beautiful to watch them jump through the wake 2, 3 or even 4 at
a time in perfect unison. Although we have seen small groups since I'll
never forget being surrounded by leaping dolphins for as far as I could see.

Walt