From: Scuba diving discussion list [mailto:[log in to unmask]]On
Behalf Of Michael Levy
Sent: Wednesday, May 17, 2000 6:42 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Time for an RFD?

On Wed, 17 May 2000 09:25:02 -0400
"Huntzinger, Hugh A [AMSTA-AR-CCL-B]" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> In reading this week's posts, unfortunately, it appears that the recent
> pattern of hostility and denigration of list members appears to be starting
> back up again.
>
> Question:  do we as a group wish for this to continue, or would we prefer to
> not have it at all?

Is it really solvable in an open environment like this?
We all know the problem stems from a single source who now has more
time than ever to contribute.  :-)
Repeated requests to desist have failed... will clear rules make any
difference, I doubt it.... it is the nature of the beast!

Tools exist to easily deal with it individually since it is a single
source... use one's mailer to extract the source. I filter them to a
different folder (trash?).
I have done that over the last several months.... I don't see any of it
save for those who respond with quoted sections... del key works for
those.

Quite honestly I have missed nothing of quality, which seems on
analysis to have become less with age and the increased available time
of the subscriber... interesting factoid. ;-)

The pity is that the subscriber is/was a valuable diving resource......
I have found any recent pearls have been quoted by other's and so I
have been able to glean them in a clean second hand environment.

In my view rather than try to change the beast... we need to change our
reaction to it!
I have and it has upped my enjoyment of the list immensely.

If those who get picked on were to filter the post away we would ALL
have a clean list. I suggest that they should try the filter route...
then we would have a very clean list.

Maybe he will then have to go and play in Rec.Scuba.  ;-)

Michael
--
Divers know the true meaning of peace of mind.