My first night dive was in a dingy quarry (vis about 10 feet) and bottom
temps about 50F, and me in a 3mm rent-a-suit.  There were two
training platforms anchored to the bottom.  We had to stride off the
pier, swim out to the first platform, follow it to the concrete blocks
holding it in place, and count the cable ties between it and the
platform (this at ~90ft).  Then navigate over to the other platform and
do the same, and finally navigate back to the pier within so many
feet of point of entry.

I was freezing.  Vis was poor, free swimming between spots would make
you lose orientation, and it was generally not fun.  I did pass however,
despite my chattering teeth :-)

Warm=water night dives at least you can generally see surface or bottom
features for most of the dive.  Those quarry dives don't offer that
luxury, plus you pay the price for the cold water.

Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>