<SNIP>
> Both John Bird (from an earlier post) and Poe Lim as well as myself seem
> have had a less than stellar first experience with night diving. It seems
we
> all have discovered the awesome beauty in the ocean at night, after we
have
> become comfortable with all the extra aspects involved with night diving.
> this is why I would advise Sherry and her hubby to take the first night
dive
> with an instructor in the advanced class so that these new experiences do
> not come as a surprise. I don't mean to indicate that the group they are
> going with wouldn't take them under their wing and provide some guidance,
> but this was not stated, and may be an unfair burden to be put on those
> divers trying to have a little fun.
>
> Walt

We dont want to talk about my first night dive.  It was during an AOW class
and was about my 8th or 9th dive total after getting recertified after a
20+year hiatus.  The objective of the dive was to return to within 50 feet
of the starting point.  Not a hard thing to do at this particular dive site.
Today I can do it just about blindfolded.  On this dive it really was no
problem cause we never moved more than about 20 feet.  My buddy got to 30
feet and froze for the next 30 minutes.  All he would do is stare at his
gauge.  Finally, the DM decided we should go up and call it a dive.

CH