On Mon, 15 May 2000 08:02:31 -0700, Walt wrote:
>Poe wrote:
>
>>Did my first night dive for my AOW; cold water, poor torches, at the gravel
>>loader close to Bass Point (so compass not working properly due to all that
>>metal around). Not a good experience, and had me worried about night
>diving.
>
>Both John Bird (from an earlier post) and Poe Lim as well as myself seem to
>have had a less than stellar first experience with night diving. It seems we
>all have discovered the awesome beauty in the ocean at night, after we have
>become comfortable with all the extra aspects involved with night diving.
>this is why I would advise Sherry and her hubby to take the first night dive
>with an instructor in the advanced class so that these new experiences do
>not come as a surprise.
>Walt

How 'bowt a night snorkel? If it's the darkness your worried about, floating on
the surface seems a good way to "get your feet wet".  I didn't want to take the
time to do full blown night boat dives in Cozumel last week, but did spend a
couple hours on two different evenings snorkeling in front of Plaza Las Glorias.
The water is 15-20' deep and the night time critters come out to play just like
they do on the reefs- spotted moreys, tiny juv spotted drum, yellow rays,
cucumbers, crabs, lobsters. The only animal I looked for and didn't see was
octopus.
While I enjoy night diving, it's kinda nice to have my computer showing me as
fully off-gassed for my first dive of the morning, and besides, I tend to forget
things on a boat when it's pitch black.

-Joe