Danny Wier wrote:

> Another question comes to mind -- could one consider a creole or pidgin
> another form or even dialect of the "pure" language?

Depends.  Do they conceive of themselves as speakers of a language?
IIRC correctly, the level of intelligibility between Standard English
speakers and Gullah speakers is rather high (or at least, the one
recording I heard of it was).  Moreover, they mostly conceive of
themselves as speaking "bad English", a different variety, but in their
eyes substantially the same language.  By that measure, they would
speak English.

Tom Wier <[log in to unmask]>
"Cogito ergo sum, sed credo ergo ero."