Jonathan Chang wrote:

>     To me, Lady Liberty always struck me as being rather "butch" (big,
> stocky, rather hamfisted, & oh so Germanic looking [yes the French built HER,
> I know]).

IMHO Marianne looks like she comes from Alsace as well.

New fave word:  "Elsasserung" ("Alsatianization"): a derogatory term used in the
South Tyrol (German-speaking part of Italy) for the slow disappearance of German
from a historically German-speaking area.

--

Schlingt dreifach einen Kreis um dies! || John Cowan <[log in to unmask]>