Nik Taylor scripsit:

> "P. M. ARKTAYG" wrote:
> > "Ceterum censeo elfos extinguendos esse"
> >                      - Melkor Maximus
>
> What does that mean?  Something about Elves being extinguished?

"And further it is my opinion that the Elves must be made extinct".
"Melkor" is the original name of Morgoth, the primal Dark Lord of
JRRT's mythology.

It's a parody of Cato the Censor's perpetual close to his speeches
on any subject whatever:  "That is my opinion, and further it is my
opinion that Carthage must be destroyed: she is a menace to Rome."
Eventually the Romans launched the Third (and last) Punic war out
of sheer boredom.

--
John Cowan                                   [log in to unmask]
        Yes, I know the message date is bogus.  I can't help it.