Danny Wier scripsit:

> Mick is a pejorative term for an Irish-American, from the name Michael.

I understand that "mick" is more acceptable in the, er, British Isles
than in North America.

> Dego is for an Italian-American,
> and it came from the name Diego, supposedly.  (But isn't that more Spanish?)

Ray Brown said that "dago" for "Spaniard" is still current in the U.K.;
the shift from Spanish to Italian probably happened only in the New World.

> And in Russian, there's an old expression that translates to something like
> this: "here's Yuri and Grandma for you".

"When Russians start to mention grandmothers, all hell is breaking loose."
        -- I forget, maybe Harry Turtledove?

--
John Cowan                                   [log in to unmask]
        Yes, I know the message date is bogus.  I can't help it.