Barry Garcia <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Hmm very good thought there ;). I was thinking the same thing, either the
>gender system developed later, or it was a scientific language that was
>adapted by the public. Perhaps the need for a distinction came because
>people and technology are so linked together?

Why not consider a time frame when advanced technology has indeed
been used for a couple thousand years? That's enough for any lang
to adopt a new gender system (maybe derived from an ancient system
like animate vs. inanimate). It's only in our Earth, and in the
Western civilization, that there was an Industrial Revolution --
other civilizations could change gradually instead of explosively.
This would give the lang time to adopt scientific and tech terms.

--Pablo Flores
  http://www.geocities.com/pablo-david/index.html
  Miembro de IdeoLengua, la primera lista de e-mail
  en espaņol sobre lenguajes construidos:
            http://www.egroups.com/group/ideolengua