In a message dated 5/28/00 3:32:24 PM Central Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<<
     You must be pretty fit. I find after a 2 dive day that I am exhausted, I
will be trying a 3 dive day in 2 weeks. I am still new I only have 34 dives
under my belt and was only certified March 4th 2000. How do you keep feeling
so tired? Could it be age?:) I will be 40 in a few months. We dive every
weekend and once during the week for a night dive now. Also I am trying to
conserve on air and breathe deeper, but I find if I have some anxiety I use
more air. I try to keep that at a minimum. Sometimes its really hard. I do
have large enough lungs but I just can't seem to get my deep breathing right.
I would appreciate any advice on this issue.
 Cheers
 Sherry in NZ

Hello Sherry,

Sherry, I don't know what to tell you about how to keep from being tired. I
have ALWAYS had more energy than I knew what to do with. Just ask my MOM 8^).
When most people feel tired I'm usually still full of pep. You mentioned
age!!!! Hell, Sherry I'm 45 and I still outdo most people by my natural
energy. I play softball on three different teams and I play racquetball three
times a week from 10:30 till midnight. Even then I'm  so wound up from
playing racquetball that I won't go to bed until after 2 am. As it is I never
go to bed before 1 am anyway. I don't know where all of this energy has
always come from, it just has. I've been known to make 5 dives and then go
play a ball game. ( I know I know not the smartest thing in the world) Only
in the last few years have I noticed my reflexes are so much slower after
being in the water all day. I play shortstop so I have to have my reflexes or
I look my age LOL.

As far as the breathing goes. I found that when I was a young diver I was all
over the place. I was in a hurry. I wanted to see everything. As you will
find out if you haven't already that the faster you go the more you miss. If
you slow down to enjoy and observe nature and to learn from it you'll find
that your relaxed state will in itself make your breathing better. If your
not thinking about it and relaxing and learning you'll find that your
breathing will reflect a somewhat natural state. I have learned to take very
long and slow breaths both on the intake and the exhaust. I timed myself and
one breath both on intake and exhaust takes me about 20 seconds. This is the
technique that I've developed over the years. As others have alluded to, with
experience comes better breathing and it sounds like you've really started an
aggressive program. A year from now you'll probably look back on this
question and think "I sure have come a long way"  and then have a knowing
smile. You'll then be able to answer someone else who'll be  new on the list
with how you overcame this.

I enjoyed hearing from you.

Good luck and I hope all of your dives are great ones.

I'll be blowing more bubbles this weekend weather permitting. I dive nearly
every weekend also but I don't ever tell the list about them because I feel
that people would get tired of hearing about my diving. Especially the land
locked ones.

Take care,

Ray