We do not reduce the fractures .

Just curious, if your surgery coverage was spotty, would you guys learn to
do appendectomies?

Seriously, I would be careful about getting into that area of liability
risk. The hospital is required to provide the specialty back up or they are
in violation of COBRA and EMTALA. check it out Jay. Of course, there is
nothing wrong with splinting for a reduction next AM if the fracture is
closed, neurovascularly intact and the skin is not taught.

Parents get spoiled and we feed into the  problem of inappropriate resource
utilization ( having untrained ED docs reduce fractures when Orthpods could
do it the next AM) by allowing them to make demands and then catering to
those demands. I think your actions are an example of this. Proper fracture
management does not require immediate reduction, .

Marty

The URL for the PED-EM-L Web Page is: