Anecdotal experience only, but our hospital, which has the ultra-fast
spiral CT, switched to the totally non-contrasted CT for appy's and
kidney stones about one year ago. For about a year prior to that we had
been doing rectally contrasted only studies. I have been very impressed
as have our surgeons. The test is fast, appears sensitive, no contrast
allergies or restrictions, etc... I have not ordered an US for an appy
investigation for several years now. In all but the absolute classic
cases we are using the "appy CT" as we call it. We have also picked up
early many cases that were clinically vague with no fever, normal WBC,
but tenderness in the RLQ and then classic CT findings of appendicitis.

I know this is not scientific research, but we've have been very
impressed.

Daniel E. Kates, M.D.
Thunderbird Samaritan Medical Center
Phoenix, Arizona