Another question for the group:

A resident presented a child with a routine fracture nose.  No septal hematoma, etc.  He then said. "the Fleisher text says that antibiotics are generally indicated for nasal fractures".  Sure enough, it's in the 4th edition text.  The implications is that nasal fractures are open thus the indication for prophylaxis.  I will admit that this is a new concept to me, maybe I just was asleep during that lecture.   I am very curious to see how many others routinely prescribe antibiotics to children with uncomplicated nasal fractures.

Mark Adler, MD
Fellow, PEM
Johns Hopkins Hospital

The URL for the PED-EM-L Web Page is: