On Sun, 11 Jun 2000, Adrian Morgan wrote:

> What are the conventions [about the relative placement of
> "?" or "!" and quotation marks] in different countries on these
> matters?

AFAIK all English-speaking countries agree on this point;
likewise on the point that ";" and ":" go outside quotation marks
always (since there can be no logical reason for putting them
inside, and no real aesthetic motive for putting them inside).
It is only commas and full stops that are debatable.

--
John Cowan                                   [log in to unmask]
        "You need a change: try Canada"  "You need a change: try China"