> Date:         Mon, 12 Jun 2000 21:17:37 -0400
> From: Nik Taylor <[log in to unmask]>

> I've heard the term, but never heard the definition; what is an
> off-license?

A shop with a license to sell beer, wine and spirits for consumption
off the premises.

As opposed to restaurants which have licenses to sell beer, wine and
spirits for consumption on the premises, and public houses which
typically (still) have licenses to sell beer, wine and spirits for
consumption on or off the premises. (IIRC, it used to be that you
could bring your jug around and get it filled with beer --- and some
publicans may still be obliged by their license to do that, but I
don't know how well it would go down any more).

Lars Mathiesen (U of Copenhagen CS Dep) <[log in to unmask]> (Humour NOT marked)