>From: Jonathan Chang <[log in to unmask]>

>* Tok Pisin - Papua NiuGini wantok (Neo-Melanesian English, Papua New
>Guinea Pidgin English, English-lexifier pidgin [or - as I like to
>think of it - one of the most interesting "mutant Englishes
>around"]):

Trying to guess what English words provided the lexes, just for fun:

>     Ples bilong yu we?  <Where are you from?>

Place belong [to] you [is] where?

>     Ples bilong mi Amerika <I am from America>

Place belong [to] me [is] America

>     Wanim kain wok bilong yu? <What's your job?>

What-name kind [is] work belong [to] you?

>     Mi man bilong pilai long stringben <I am a musician>

Me [is] man belong [to] ??? along [stringbean?]

>         Mi man i painimaut ol kainkain save <I am a researcher>

Me man he find-him-out all kind-kind save

[I am a man who saves all kinds of knowledge]

>         [OR] Mi no gat wok <I am unemployed>

Me no got work

>     Yu bilong wanem lotu? <What's your religion?>

You belong [to] what-name ????

>     Mi no gat lotu; Mi lotu nating <I am not religious>

Me no got ???; Me ??? [is] nothing

>     Mi Dao-pela. <I am Taoist>
>         Mi no Kristen <I am not Christian>
>     Mi no Kago muvmen-pela. <I am not a Cargo Cult fellow>

Me no Cargo movement-fellow

Lars Mathiesen (U of Copenhagen CS Dep) <[log in to unmask]> (Humour NOT marked)