Lars Henrik Mathiesen wrote:

> > Date:         Fri, 9 Jun 2000 21:32:41 -0400
> > From: Robert Hailman <[log in to unmask]>
>
> > Lars Henrik Mathiesen wrote:
> > > In properly typeset text [...] programming constructs should be
> > > marked off from English text with font changes, not quotes.
>
> > They use the quotes for subroutine names and such, not for long lines of
> > code. If someone searches for "a," where they should be searching for
> > "a", they won't find what they are looking for.
>
> Go look at some books about programming languages, GNU documentation
> that has been typeset with TeX, or any random non-losing computer
> vendor's typeset docs. Names of variables and programs will be marked
> out in bold (or at least courier), argument placeholders in italic,
> unless the tech writer totally ignores the stylesheet.
>
> Quotes might be a fallback solution for a single-font rendering, but
> in a single-font rendering the order of quotes and other punctuation
> doesn't matter anyway.

Of course in books and such bold typefaces are an option, but in any
medium where bolding and such isn't an option, such as text or text
converted to HTML by one of those auto-HTML converter programs just so
they can be viewed by people who don't want to leave their browser, I
don't see how the order is unimportant. I say it above, the differnce
between "a," and "a", is the difference between a sucessful program or
not.

Also for command names, if I type "emacs," it won't work.

--
Robert