Adrian Morgan wrote:

> John Cowan wrote:
>
> > AFAIK all English-speaking countries agree on this point;
> > likewise on the point that ";" and ":" go outside
> > quotation marks always (since there can be no logical
> > reason for putting them inside, and no real aesthetic
> > motive for putting them inside). It is only commas and
> > full stops that are debatable.
>
> When I handed up a creative writing assignment last year
> that had commas outside the quotes, it was covered with
> red ink with the comment, "Learn to punctuate using
> proper fiction conventions" or similar. Books in my
> shelf seem to consistently use the comma-inside-quotes
> convention, regardless of the nationality of the author.
> But ... it doesn't make sense. I will continue to
> punctuate according to private taste with occasional
> compromise; that, after all, is how all conventions
> begin.

Exaclty, that's the problem I have. To me, putting the comma inside the
quote leaves the quotation marks isolated, like in "Hello," becase the
comma doesn't come up to the bottom of the quotation mark. When it's out
side, as in "Hello", the quotation mark "rests" against the last letter,
and the comma appears fine on it's own, because it usually is somewhat
isolated from the rest of the sentance, going below the words and all.

--
Robert