Hi Gang,
   Well I was hoping to tell you that Tim and I are finally advance divers, not the case. We drove up to Leigh, where Goat Island Reserve is. We stayed at a backpackers bunk house. Let's start from the beginning shall we: Once upon a time ago long ago there was this couple that wanted to be advance divers:). We started in May and we got 2 dives at the local lake but the weather was too bad to get to the ocean, so they said we can wait until the next month to finish up the course. Ok not my idea but I will go along with it. We did the Navigation and the Night dive in the lake and the rest was going to be at the ocean. If you can do these dives in this murky lake you can do them anywhere:). So the story goes: We started off to the dive store hoping to get a ride with the instructor because our car is a piece of doggy do at this moment:). Well there was 3 classes going out and Chaos going on, Tim and I decided to trust our car and go ourselves so we don't over stress our instructor (weren't we nice:)). We finally made it to Leigh and the spot we agreed upon to meet only to find out from another instructor that was taking open water students out that our instructor had blown up the engine in the van and was unable to make it. Oh Great!!! I thought. Link (instructor and the one on my website) said we could abort the class or work with his schedule. I told him we were diving no matter what, we were there and we drove a fair ways. So he and another instructor took both classes. We had already done our Navigation so we were supposed to follow this other guy in our class and he was supposed to do all the navigating. No sweat I thought, well as our luck goes. (Murphy is my husband's Uncle). Josh, Tim and I got into the water went down and all we saw of Josh was his fins, bubbles and then nothing. I tried to keep up but I couldn't, I was so tired, in tears and at the panic point that I finally took my last bit of energy and caught my hubby's fin tip and praying he would turn around so I could tell him UP NOW!!! Sign. He did
turn around and I went up. I found the boat and told Tim no way was I catching Josh he was on his own, I was going back to the boat now. I went back to the boat where the instructor was at, told him what was happening and we were going down to watch some fish until he gets back. So that is what we did. Next was the search and recovery not my specialty. Tim had the compass and I was to time and watch depth. Josh went out with the other instructor (he knew where it was at but couldn't help Josh). Tim and I thought we would never find it. Link said if anyone found the item he would rev the boats engine. So after some time in the water of looking for a white bag with weights (the other instructor had most of our gear with him at the blown up van), I thought I heard the engine so I signaled to Tim to go up and find out. No he did not rev the engine and to go back down to continue to look. As soon as we went down I saw it and Tim did too, I was so excited that I went down too fast and got a good squeeze on my ear, Tim went and got and I went up to tell Link we found it:). I rubbed it in to Josh that we found it. It took a long time to get their attention that the object was found. In between our dives Link went with his other class to do their open water. I know that he felt Naked (tired) at the end of the day. We went to our room to eat a little something and wait for instructions. Link showed up told us we were to go on our night dive. So we tried to go but our car got stuck in the mud, Josh was at the office so I caught up with him to ask for help with his four by four. I tried pushing Tim out first but to no avail. Well we finally got out with Josh's help and off we went for our night dive. Neat saw a lot of Crayfish and one Octopus I sure enjoyed that and before the dive I told Josh slow is good!:). Then we went to get pizza and relax because I was sooooo tired. We finally went to sleep. I had only 3 hours sleep the night before, my hubby had to work extra hours. They woke us up early and we went down (you must re
Link and the boat so we can do our deep dive. Well after waiting an extra long time, we saw him and started to put our BCD's on, he motioned for us to take them off. PROBLEM! The clutch or the transmission blew in the boat. NO DEEP DIVE! So we did our Naturalist dive and that is it. Question: Do we continue with Dive HQ or go elsewhere? They said we get 1/2 price to the Poor Knights to certify with the deep dive, which we will do. I don't think I am going to continue with them for our specialty dives. We have been trying for 2 months to certify for advance with these people. On our Naturalist I did see an Octopus face to face and freaked out for a second. I was not expecting to see it at this time of morning. That was the best part of my dive.
Cheers
Sherry and Tim