Marcus Smith wrote:
> It's no accident that the Telek verb "to love" is _misel_.  Actually, a better
> gloss would be "to feel strong emotions for".  When used with -l it means
> "love" but with -r (sound symbolism) it means "hate".

Hmm, someone with a Japanese accent could really screw up that
language.  :-)

I take it you don't like the "r" sound?  What kind of "r" is it?

My word for "friend", sláana (s- is a gender-prefix) was derived from
the name "Laura", the name of a good friend of mine.  Modified slightly
to hide the connection, but it's there, the name itself would probably
be rendered as tLáala (/i u a/ are the only phonemic vowels, no phonemic
r), so you can see the great similarity.  The t- is a gender-prefix,
BTW.  Interestingly, tLáala would be pronounced [tra:la], where [r] is
an alveolar approximate (used after dental consonants, t, d, n, s, z),
so the [r] and [l] are reversed from where they are in English.

--
"If the stars should appear one night in a thousand years, how would men
believe and adore, and preserve for many generations the remembrance of