On Sat, 24 Jun 2000, Christophe Grandsire wrote:

> At 22:32 23/06/00 -0500, you wrote:
> >No one mentioned "toot sweet," which is, of course, an Anglification of
> >"tout a suite."  Acute over the a, of course.
> >

> Wouldn't it be the French expression " tout de suite"? 'tout  suite'
> doesn't exist in French, and 'toot sweet' maps nicely with the
> pronunciation of "tout de suite".

Probably.  But sometimes the French underlying English French is pretty
odd French:  Consider "Sweeeedack!" (1960's hockey expression) which is
from the Q. Fr. shortening of "Je suis d'accord".

And who knows why anglophones say "double entendre" instead of "double
entente".

--
John Cowan                                   [log in to unmask]
        "You need a change: try Canada"  "You need a change: try China"