On Thu, 29 Jun 2000, Donald J. HARLOW wrote:

> Actually, "The Prisoner" took place in a small town on the Welsh
> coast (at least that's where it was filmed -- and, if I remember the
> last episode correctly, the former Number Six succeeded in
> _driving_ directly to London, so the fictional (one hopes) location of
> "The Village" must have been on the island of Britain somewhere...)

        I do remember that -- but it had qualities that placed it beyond
any space or time.  The village was quaint and Welsh, to be sure,
but some of the gadgets made it difficult to be certain whether The
Village existed in the present or in a not-too-distant future... and on
the two previous occasions when Number Six attempted to escape The
Village, he did so by sea - the first time, he believed that he had landed
in Poland, IIRC. However, he soon discovered that his escape had been
staged,  and that he had never really escaped the clutches of the powers
who control The Village (whoever they might be).
        This is just the sort of "double fake" that late SF author Philip
K. Dick loved ... I'm not sure if he originated the idea, or if he picked
it up somewhere else, but it certainly lends itself to tales of espionage.
I remember that he even wrote a script for the series: "Mission
Impossible" involving Castro caught up in such a double fake.

-Chollie