Je 04:22 ptm 6/30/00 +0200, Mike FARRIS skribis (reage al Don HARLOW)

>5. There's a tendency among some Eo supporters, including you sometimes, to
>take the motives of Zhof or the movement and treat them as results.  In other
>words, just because Zhof created the mal- words to make things easier for
>students doesn't necessarily make the results easier (that's what we have
>research for, to figure these things out, he typed ever so smugly)
>I'll grant that in the short run, maybe some of them do (and for some folks
>they help probably all the time) but for some folks they dont' necessarily
>make
>life that much easier. (Has anyone in interlinguistics researched what things
>those who try and try and try and never get very good at lawfundamenta
>esperanto have problems with???)

I can only answer from my own experience: the MAL- words made things
_considerably_ easier for me when I was learning to use the language --
Zamenhof's results, as far as I am concerned, were (in this instance, at
least) totally in line with his motives. At a later date, of course, it
wouldn't have made much difference whether I had learned "frua" / "malfrua"
or "frua" / "*tarda"; but I didn't, and so when I run across a non-MAL-word
in reading or conversation, my chain of thought is interrupted and I have
to puzzle it out, which often destroys my link with the ongoing discussion.

-- Don HARLOW

Se vi serĉas...
   Novelojn, http://www.best.com/~donh/Esperanto/Literaturo/Noveloj/
   Recenzojn, http://www.best.com/~donh/Esperanto/Literaturo/Recenzoj/
Kaj la reto donas novan vivon al Sherlock Holmes en Esperanto:
   La aventuro de la dancantoj, http://members.tripod.com/~dbooton/dancantoj/
   La aventuro de la kriplulo,
http://www.best.com/~donh/Esperanto/Literaturo/Revuoj/MondaKulturo/Somero65/
kriplulo.html
   La aventuro de la malaperinta trikvarono,
http://members.tripod.com/~booton/mtk/index.html
   La mararmea traktato, http://esperanto.online.fr/esperant61/mararmeu.htm
   La Musgrava rito, http://members.tripod.com/~booton/musgravo/
   Studo en skarlato (elĉerpaĵo),