If I have correctly understood it, this looks like a case where the
TEI DTD's inability to bob up and down has caught you out -- but in
fact it has exposed an interesting question about what "act" and
"scene" really mean..

Although you have "act"s divided into "scene"s, you also have
something intermediate between the two -- all the scenes at a given
location. A new scene starts when a new person appears. A new
something-else (I will call it a "subact") starts when the location
changes. And you have (apparently) several such changes within a
single act. As you have noticed, stage directions indicate where the
sub-acts begin as well as where the scenes and acts begin, but the
problem is not really to do with stage directions. You need to
introduce an additional level of <div> element to mark the subacts --
whereupon you will find that the following parses perfectly well.

 Lou Burnard                           http://users.ox.ac.uk/~lou