On Wed, 19 Jul 2000, Cathy Whitlock wrote:

> Hello! I am new to the list, and its been quite interesting! I have a quick
> question about Latin pronunciation. In the phrase "Domine ad adjuvandum me
> festina", the emphasis of the words are DOmine ad ADjuvandum me fesTIna,
> correct?  Or is it adjuVANdum?

AdjuVANdum.

Latin words are stressed on the 3rd from last syllable, unless the
next to last syllable is either:

        "long by nature" (contains a long vowel or a diphthong)

        "long by position" (has 2 consonants after the vowel, other
                than a stop followed by "l" or "r").

--
John Cowan                                   [log in to unmask]
C'est la` pourtant que se livre le sens du dire, de ce que, s'y conjuguant