On Wed, 19 Jul 2000, Mangiat wrote:

> Wow! Is there in Dutch that rule the German language has: compound nouns
> always stress the 1st syllable?

No, fortunately not. I don't know the rule for compounds of
single-syllable words (no time to look it up either), but it varies:
BRAADworst, rookVLEES. Compounds of words of more than one syllable
usually retain their own stresses: chocoLAdeHAgelslag.

And as I said, the Hottentot word is a construct designed to be
funny; nobody would actually use it, even if the functionary in
question existed.

   In haste, Irina

[log in to unmask] (myself)     http://www.valdyas.org/irina/valdyas