On Tue, 5 Sep 2000, Raymond Brown wrote:

> The term
> seems to me to be restricted only to those who (a) live south of the
> Sahara, and (b) whose ancestors have been in Africa for at least the past
> four centuries.

And (c) those whose ancestors have been in the New World (not necessarily
the U.S.) for two centuries or more.  Immigrants from Senegal are simply
Africans.

> Good grief, I can barely trace my own ancestry back to the last (i.e. 19th)
> century - goodness knows where some of my forebears were 400 years ago!

*sniff* And me descended from kings.  Why I associate with all you riffraff
is beyond me.

:-)

> But one reason I join lists like conlang is to afford a short period of
> escapism.  That's why I suggested we, maybe, returned to conlanging.

In time this too shall pass.

--
John Cowan                                   [log in to unmask]
"[O]n the whole I'd rather make love than shoot guns [...]"