On Wed, 6 Sep 2000 06:37:57 -0000 Lars Henrik Mathiesen <[log in to unmask]>
writes:
> > Date:         Wed, 6 Sep 2000 06:59:47 +0100
> > From:         Raymond Brown <[log in to unmask]>
> > AFAIK all my forebears were commoners (maybe it's as well that I
> can't
> > trace them back back more than about three generations!)

> If what they used to say about the sons of the lord in the manor and
> the village girls is true, there should be a good chance of everyone
> in a rural setting having some unofficial but aristocratic ancestor
> within four or five generations.
> My grandmother (paternal) and her sisters used to eagerly discuss an
> old family rumour that her grandfather was a byblow of the then
> crown
> prince back in the 1840's. Otherwise, I'm of peasant and merchant
> stock myself.
> Lars Mathiesen (U of Copenhagen CS Dep) <[log in to unmask]> (Humour
> NOT marked)
-

Common people, unite!  :-)
My great^4-grandfather is supposed to have been a lumberjack.

ObConlang:
(nothing to do with commonerness)
Yesterday i joined a creative writing class, and we had to "go outside,
find something beautiful (in 15 minutes) and come back and write about it
(in 5 minutes)" .  What i ended up picking was a Snake Tree, supposedly
really called a "Sweet Locust".  I also figured out how to actually say
"snake tree" in Rokbeigalmki:

SLYIHTH = (root, "snake")   [sljIT]
SLYIHTHL = snake (animal)   [sljITl=]
SLYIHTHS = snake (tree)   [sljITs]

Both of which would normally just be reffered to as just _slyihth_,
unless disambiguation is necessary.

-Stephen (Steg)
 "...when will you drop your green and brown serpents to the ground
  swarming across the grass like love
  or the sun's fading light..."